Monday 6 July 2009

CAN YOU GUESS WHERE????

On Saturday I drove up the wonderful Northumberland coast with my parents and Peter. My husband was successfully traversing the country on his pedal bike (known as the C2C) and I had an eary appointment at Belford Craft Gallery in Northumberland. Belford Craft Gallery is a small but superb gallery selling local artist's work. Fotunately, the lady I met agreed to exhibit my work in the craft gallery and I left with fewer brooches than I had arrived with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On our way home we called at Bamburgh and ate delicious crab sandwiches in the superb Copper Kettle tea rooms; before descending upon my favourite part of the Northumberland coast - can you guess where it is. Here are a couple of clues ......................

The cross on chuch hill ...
The beach..............
And finally a crab! - photographed by Peter!

If you haven't already guessed - it's Alnmouth! Alnmouth is a small, picturesque village situated at the mouth of the River Aln, on the Northumberland coast. It is located within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which stretches from the Borders in the north to Amble in the south of the region.

The village was an important port until a huge storm in the early 1800's changed the flow of the River Aln and cut off the towns old church (the location of the church is marked by a large wooden cross visible across the river which you can see on my first photograph). Today the estuary is used by pleasure crafts and small fishing boats and is only accessible around high tide to those with good knowledge of the waters.

If you are ever driving along the Northumberland Coastal route you will see the ever so pretty row of houses lining the River Aln - all painted different colours! I think it is one of my favourite 'views'.

No comments: