Tuesday 9 February 2010

TEA FOR TWO

I did the weekly shop today and when I returned home I couldn't fit everything into the freezer - a regular occurence in this house!

I took a box of summer fruits out of the freezer and decided I would make a crumble for tea. However, as the day progressed I didn't fancy a crumble and thought the fruits may be quite nice in some scones!!! Mmmmmmm!!



I made a basic scone recipe and then halved the dough and sandwiched the fruits beween the two layers before cutting them out! Hey presto - summer fruit scones in the middle of February!



If you fancy trying the recipe here it is:

INGREDIENTS

16oz (450g) self raising flour
4oz (125g) butter
2oz (50g) sugar
2 eggs
milk to bind
selection of berries

METHOD

1. Rub butter into flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add sugar, eggs and a little milk at a time until you get a soft dough.
3. Half the dough and rollout each piece to about 1/2cm thickness.
4. Spread the summer fruits on top of one piece of the dough and then lay the other piece of rolled out dough over the top.
5. Cut into 2" rounds and cook at 180C/Gas Mark 5 until golden brown!

I'm off to whip the cream!!

3 comments:

Sal said...

Oh my ..I could almost reach into the screen and eat them!! They look fab! ;-)

andamento said...

mmm, they do look delicious!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! As do your lovely brooches.