Sunday 19 July 2009

GARDEN DELIGHTS....

It has finally stopped raining -I thought I was going to have to put my sewing to one side and build an ark. There has been lots of localised flooding but thankfully nothing too serious. It is warm and sunny here today and I have finally been able to venture into the garden to see how my plants and flowers are coming along......................

We have already had tomatoes and spring onions to eat. The blueberries are nearly fully grown and we are anxiously waiting for them to change colour! I only have the one plant in a large tub but it's nice to think we can just wander into the garden and pick some fruit to make some muffins!


The pepper plant has grown quickly in the last couple of weeks and although the peppers are tiny at the moment there are plenty of them!


My 'herb planter' is looking very healthy - my dad has also planted some lettuces in here and they are growing rapidly. Whenever I walk past the herbs I cannot resist picking a couple of leaves and smelling them - my favourite is basil!

My neighbour gave me a tray of livingsone daisies and they are now smiling at me from the borders. I love the fact that they close at night or when it is cloudy and then open their delicate petals again once the sun is out. What a lovely existence?


I have two hydrangeas - a blue/purple lace variety in the front garden and this reddy pink delight in the back garden. I have already cut a couple of stems for the house but I will have to try to resist cutting any more.

This plant was originally from my parent's house. I think it grew too large and my dad split it. It is the first year it has flowered in my garden - I'm not sure of the name. It's vertical thorny flowers can also be dried to use as an everlasting flower - or so I believe.

And finally one of my favourite plants, the hardy fuschia! I love this variety - hot pin and lilac flowers - they look like little ballerinas!

I have been working on a new item for my etsy shop (slightly different from my usual flower brooches and occasional scarves) and although it is complete the photographs did not work out well. Hopefully, I will take some more photos in the next day or two and I will post them asap.

Bye for now and enjoy the remainder of the sunny weekend! I hope I haven't spoken too soon!

1 comment:

dragonfly said...

Your garden looks full of wonderful things! The big spiky plant is called acanthus (I think!) or Bears Breeches! I had one but it sort of overtook my border...
I've had a stroll through your blog and love your brooches and crochet.