Friday 24 July 2009

A WONDERFUL END ...... TO A DISASTROUS WEEK

What a week!!

It began with two boxes of flat-pack furniture which I 'nearly' assembled with my Dad. Unfortunately, towards the end of the project we were unable to fit a couple of the final pieces together. The main pieces just did not fit (and I have assembled many items in my time)!!! We had to dismantle both pieces of furniture (which took at least a couple of hours)and attempt to fit them back into their boxes so I could return them to the shop - the Krypton Factor springs to mind!
The following day, we purchased and assembled some new furniture from Ikea (which was so easy to put together). Just as we had finished the self assembly project, we discovered water pouring through our kitchen ceiling. The water was coming from the bathroom overhead- the plughole had somehow unattached itself to the pipe!! Everywhere was soaking and I used about eight large tiles to mop up the mess along with several buckets and containers. As a result, we have a large hole in our ceiling and the wall is soaking!!! We have decided to leave the ceiling for the minute until it has completely dried out. Nightmare!!!

On the other hand, whilst flicking through the pages of Etsy I came across a book in VintageUK's fabulous shop. For some reason I knew I had to buy it but did not really know why I had the urge to make such a purchase . I felt as if I recognised the cover but I wasn't sure where from. Anyway, to cut a long story short I bought the book and it arrived quickly; beautifully packaged.


As soon as I opened the book I thought .........ELEPHANT!!!!!!!!!!! Do you remember this post?
Lo and behold, this book was the 'very' one I used at junior school to make a felt elephant with my fabulous teacher Mrs Cook! I was so pleased when I saw the photograph below in the book.

The book is a fantastic source of patterns and stitches. I feel a sudden urge to start making toys again!!!! Watch this space!


Finally, before I go I wanted to show you this. I bought Peter some watercolours at the beginning of the week and he has been desperate to use them. My parents (both retired art teachers) sat with him and explained to him how to use them ! This is his first attempt!

2 comments:

andamento said...

"I will make you brooches and toys for your delight
Of bird-song at morning and star-shine at night..."

- a very appropriate quote!

The toy book does looks very interesting, I think I'll track one down for myself!

Great blog (arrived here via "Do you mind if I knit") will be back again soon!

Gigibird said...

I have this book - it's wonderful isn't it.